Amazon Celebrates Biggest Holiday; More Than Four Million People Trialed Prime In One Week Alone This Season
Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote were the #1 and #2
top-selling products across all categories on
Items shipped with
Small businesses and entrepreneurs had a record-breaking season with more than one billion items ordered worldwide
Customers shopped from hundreds of millions of products, including a
vast selection from small businesses and entrepreneurs. More than one
billion items were ordered from small businesses and entrepreneurs
worldwide this season – and over just five days, from
“Since Day One we have obsessed over what we believe our customers care
about – incredible deals and low prices, fast and free shipping, and a
wide selection of top products – and we continue to provide all three,
all the time. We’re excited that people continued to join Prime this
holiday, to take advantage of more fast and free shipping options plus
new convenient delivery like Amazon Key, as well as early access to
Lightning Deals and unlimited streaming of TV shows and movies,
including Prime Originals and more,” stated
Amazon Devices and Alexa
- It was a record holiday shopping season for Amazon Devices, with millions more devices purchased worldwide this year than last year’s holiday season.
This holiday season was better than ever for the family of Echo
products. The Echo Dot was the #1 selling Amazon Device this holiday
season, and the best-selling product from any manufacturer in any
category across all of
Amazon, with millions sold.
Customers purchased more than twice as many Amazon Fire TV Sticks
compared to last year’s holiday season. Fire TV continues to be the #1
streaming media player family in the U.S.,
U.K., Germany, and Japan, across all retailers.
It was the best holiday season ever for Fire Kids Edition Tablets with
2.4x as many devices purchased from
Amazon.comcompared to the same time period last year.
- Echo devices have been an extremely popular gift this year, with Echo Spot, Echo Dot and Echo Buttons selling out this holiday season; customers can still pre-order to reserve their place in line and orders will be filled on a first come, first served basis.
- This year, Kindle celebrated its 10th holiday season.
This holiday, millions of Prime members voice shopped with Alexa for
Amazondevices and everyday household essentials. The most popular items purchased by voice were the Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote and TP-Link Smart Plug Mini.
Alexa helped mix tens of thousands of cocktails this holiday season
with Martini and
Manhattanbeing the most requested drinks.
- The recipe for chocolate chip cookies was the most requested recipe this holiday season.
- The most requested song from Alexa customers this holiday season was “Jingle Bells.”
The East Coastwas more in the holiday spirit this season, asking Alexa to play holiday music 2.5x as many times as the West Coast.
- Alexa customers turned on their holiday lights more than a million times via Alexa this holiday season.
- Alexa customers asked for tens of millions of jokes this holiday season.
The most common person people called this holiday season was 'Mom' in
the U.S. and
Germany, and 'Dad' in the U.K.
- Music listening time on Alexa was 3x as much this holiday season compared to last holiday season.
Customers wished Alexa a Merry Christmas, Happy holidays and Happy
Hanukkah3.5x more this year when compared to last year's holiday season.
- People asked about Santa 4x as much this holiday season compared to last holiday season.
- Customers asked Alexa for cooking related advice more than 9x as much this year compared to last holiday season.
- The most requested movies this holiday season via Alexa were Trolls and Elf.
Alexa on Fire TV is more popular than ever before, with usage in
the United Statesup 889% over the same time period last year.
- Alexa customers set 3x as many timers this year compared to last holiday season.
Amazon Delivered this Holiday
Across North Americaand the Europe, associates at 10 fulfillment centers picked, packed, and shipped more than one million customer packages in a single day.
Amazon’s peak day of customer fulfillment in 2017 was
December 19, 2017.
- In 2017, we increased the size of our fulfillment and shipping network by more than 30% in square footage worldwide.
- In the U.S., more than 6,000 trailers and 32 Amazon Air planes helped get holiday orders to customers this season.
Thanksgivingand Christmas, Amazon Air carried enough packages to equal over a billion Echo Dots.
- An Amazon Air cargo plane can hold more than 10,000 Instant Pots.
The last Prime Now order in time for Christmas was delivered in 58
11:58 p.m.on Christmas Evein Baltimore, MD. The order included the Kid Galaxy Amphibious RC Car Morphibians Shark Remote Control Toy, the Crayola Oil Pastels Art Tools, 28 ct., and the VTechClick and Count Remote.
- The top five items ordered on a mobile device were the Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote and the TP-Link Smart Plug.
- Customers worldwide shopping on the Amazon App increased nearly 70% this holiday season.
- More than 1,400 electronics products were ordered per second on a mobile device this holiday season.
view saw the most usage on Cyber Monday. The most popular item
viewed with AR view throughout this holiday season was a black
chair with ottoman. Top categories viewed with AR view are
Amazondevices, kitchen items and consumer electronics.
Amazon’s Treasure Truck fleet and festively wrapped
Amazonsemi-trucks made special deliveries as part of Amazon’s “Delivering Smiles” holiday tour. Together, the trucks stopped in over 30 communities where Amazonemployees live and work, donating thousands of items including STEM toys, books, devices, and household essentials to women, children, and families in immediate need. At the end of the tour, Amazondonated $1for every mile the trucks traveled to the National Allianceto End Homelessness.
The “Delivering Smiles” holiday tour expanded Amazon’s growing support
of children and families in immediate need. To learn more about each
Amazonvisited throughout their “Delivering Smiles” tour in the US and Canada, visit https://blog.aboutamazon.com/delivering-smiles.
- This year, 4x more music from Amazon Music was streamed over Alexa compared to last holiday season.
- Amazon Music listeners loved using the lyrics feature to ask for songs on Alexa over the holidays, requesting “Jingle Bells” more than any other festive track just by saying a few words from the song.
- Listeners wanted to slow down and unwind this season, asking Alexa to play “relaxing” music more than any other mood through Amazon Music.
New York, Seattle, Chicago, Houstonand San Diegostreamed more holiday songs on Amazon Music via Alexa, than any other cities in the U.S.
- Christmas by Michael Bublé was once again the most played album on Amazon Music during the holiday season.
“All I want for Christmas is You” by
Mariah Careyheld the top spot for the most streamed holiday song on Amazon Music for the second year in a row.
- The most watched season over the holidays was the Golden Globe-nominated Prime Original The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.
- The most watched series this holiday was The Grand Tour.
- The most watched Amazon Original movie this holiday season was The Big Sick.
- The most watched Kids Prime Original over the holidays was If You Give a Mouse a Cookie.
- The most purchased movie over the holidays was Elf.
- The most purchased series over the holidays was The Walking Dead.
The most watched Amazon Channel subscriptions this holiday season were
HBO, Showtimeand STARZ, and the current seasons of Game of Thrones, Shameless and Power were the top watched shows on each channel, respectively.
The top match-up of Prime Video’s 10-game Thursday Night Football
schedule this season was on
Dec. 7, when two million worldwide viewers watched the Atlanta Falconsbeat the New Orleans Saints20-17
The most-read Kindle book in Amazon First Reads in 2017 was, Beneath
A Scarlet Sky by
The best-selling and most-listened-to audiobook of 2017 was The
Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living
a Good Life by
Mark Manson, narrated by Roger Wayne.
The most-listened-to fiction audiobook of 2017 was
Harry Potterand the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling, narrated by Jim Dale.
The most-commented-on audiobook of 2017 was Born a Crime by
Trevor Noah, narrated by the author.
According to Amazon Charts, the most read and most gifted Kindle book
in the U.S. this holiday season was Origin: A Novel by
According to Amazon Charts, the top book Kindle readers in the U.S.
found ‘Unputdownable’ this holiday season was Year One: Chronicles
of the One, Book 1 by
Nora Roberts, reading it cover-to-cover faster than other books.
According to Amazon Charts, the Most Wished For books of 2017 in the
U.S. were: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by
Mark Manson, Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance, The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood, Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil DegrasseTyson, and Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari.
- Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale was the most borrowed book from Prime Reading, worldwide, in 2017.
Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook by
Laurel Randolph, independently published through Kindle Direct Publishing, has been topping Amazon Charts throughout the holiday season – reaching #1 on the most sold non-fiction list the week of Cyber Monday.
Prime members shopped more than 100,000 Lightning Deals on
Amazon.comwith Prime Early Access.
Customers shopped hundreds of Deals of the Day on
Amazon.comthroughout the holiday season.
- Millions of customers in the U.S. watched deals with Watch a Deal.
This holiday season,
Whole Foods Marketsold over 500,000 pounds of sweet treats at the cookie bars featured in stores across the U.S. – that’s enough to feed Santa more than 6 million cookies throughout his trip around the world on Christmas Eve.
Across Amazon Books’ 13 bookstores, the top selling nonfiction book
was Obama: An Intimate Portrait by
Pete Souza; the top selling fiction book was Origin by Dan Brown; the top selling kids book was Diary of a Wimpy Kid #12, The Getaway by Jeff Kinney; and, the top selling poetry book was the sun and her flowers by Rumi Kaur.
Across Amazon Books’ 13 bookstores, one out of seven customers who
purchased a book also donated a children’s book to local charities
supporting children in need. The top selling book given to local
charities was the classic, Are You My Mother by
P.D. Eastman; it was also the top selling book across all 13 stores.
- The Echo Dot was the top-selling device across Amazon Books’ 13 stores; the Kindle Paperwhite was the best-selling Kindle; the TP-Link Smart Plug was the best-selling accessory; and WowWee Fingerlings were the top selling toy.
- The best-selling kitchen item in the U.S. and worldwide was the Instant Pot DUO80.
- The best-selling toy and game item in the U.S. was the Nerf N-Strike Elite Strongarm Blaster, while the best-selling toy and game item worldwide was What Do You Meme? Adult Party Game.
- The best-selling smart home product in the U.S. and worldwide was the TP-Link Smart Plug.
- The best-selling beauty and grooming items in the U.S. included the Finishing Touch Flawless Women's Painless Hair Remover, the Philips Norelco Multigroom All-In-One Series 3000 and the Oral-B Black Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, while the best-selling item worldwide was the Philips Sonicare Diamond Clean Rechargeable Toothbrush.
- The best-selling home, health and personal care products in the U.S. this holiday season include Fitbit Charge 2, the 23andMe DNA Test, the AncestryDNA: Genetic Testing - DNA Ancestry Test Kit and Radha Beauty Aromatherapy Top 8 Essential Oils.
Robot vacuums were among the best-selling home items on
Amazon.comover the holiday season.
- The best-selling products from Amazon Launchpad businesses included WowWee Fingerlings Interactive Baby Monkey, Exploding Kittens Card Game, and Watch Ya Mouth Throwdown Edition Card Game.
- The best-selling sports items in the U.S. this season included Titleist Pro V1 Golf Balls, Wilson NFL MVP Junior Football and Spalding NBA Street Basketball.
- The best-selling fashion items in the U.S. this holiday season include ASICS Men's GEL Venture 5 Running Shoe, Alex and Ani Initial Expandable Wire Bangle Bracelet, 2.5", Levi's Men's 505 Regular Fit Jean, UGG Women's Classic Short II Boot.
- The best-selling products from AmazonFresh in the U.S. this holiday season, were organic bananas, limes, cucumbers, navel oranges, yellow onions.
- The best-selling furniture products in the U.S. included the Zinus Memory Foam 12 Inch Green Tea Mattress, the LinenSpa 8" Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress and the LINENSPA 6 Inch Innerspring Mattress.
- The best-selling automotive products in the U.S. included the Dark Seasonal Snow & Ice Car Scraper, the NOCO Genius Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter and the STANLEY J5C09 Jump Starter.
- The best-selling pet products in the U.S. included the PEDIGREE DENTASTIX Holiday Treats for Dogs, the KONG Wild Knots Bears Durable Dog Toys and the Taste of the Wild, Canine Formula.
The best-selling baby products in the U.S. include the
Nuby Ice Gel Teether Keys, Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy and the Nuby Bundle of 3 Toys, which was also the best-selling baby product worldwide.
- The best-selling luxury beauty item in the U.S. was the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe Herbs and Rosewater, stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner and Bioderma Sensibio H2O Micellar Water, Cleansing and Make-Up Removing Solution.
- The best-selling grocery item in the U.S. was Green Mountain Coffee Keurig Coffee Lover's Variety Pack Single-Serve K-Cup Sampler, 40 Count, the Glaceau Smartwater Vapor Distilled Water, and Viva Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil.
- The best-selling tools include the Black + Decker LDX 120C 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Cordless Drill/Driver and the MagnoGrip 311-090 Magnetic Wristband.
- The best-selling wireless products in the U.S. include Tile Mate - Key Finder. Phone Finder, PopSockets: Expanding Stand and Grip for Smartphones and Tablets and Wemo Mini Smart Plug.
The best-selling major appliances in the U.S. include
SamsungMS11K3000AS 1.1 cu. ft. Countertop Microwave Oven, the Danby120 Can Beverage Center and the NewAir AB-1200 126- Can Beverage Cooler.
The best-selling musical instruments on
Amazon.comwere the Snark SN5X Clip-On Tuner for Guitar, Singing Machine SML385BTW Top Loading CDG Karaoke System with Bluetooth, Sound and Disco Light Show, and the Singing Machine SMM-205 Unidirectional Dynamic Microphone.
- The best-selling outdoor items in the U.S. were Intex Comfort Plush Elevated Dura-Beam Airbed with Built-in Electric Pump, the Stanley Classic Vacuum Bottle and the BV Bicycle Light Set Super Bright 5 LED Headlight.
The best-selling home improvement products on
Amazon.comwere the Philips Hue White A19 Single LED Bulb (Works with Amazon Alexa), Philips Hue White and Color Ambiance 3rd Generation A19 10W Equivalent Dimmable LED Smart Bulb (Works with Amazon Alexa) and Himalayan Glow Pink Salt Lamp.
- The best-selling lawn and garden products in the U.S. this holiday season included the Weber 6492 Original Instant-Read Thermometer, Snow Joe SJBLZD Telescoping Snow Broom with Ice Scraper and Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector.
The best-selling office products in the U.S. were Elmer's Liquid
School Glue (1 Gallon) - Great For Making Slime,
Georgia-PacificSpectrum Standard 92 Multipurpose Paper (8.5 x 11 Inches) and Paper Mate Flair Felt Tip Pens (Assorted Colors, 12-Count).
- The best-selling business, industrial and scientific supplies in the U.S. included the First Aid Only All-Purpose First Aid Essentials Kit, Rubbermaid Commercial Stainless Steel Oven Monitoring Thermometer and TOPGREENER TU2154A High Speed USB Charger Outlet.
The best-selling TVs in the U.S. this holiday season were the TCL
32-Inch 720p Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model),
Samsung Electronics40-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV (2017 Model), TCL 49-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2017 Model) and Samsung Electronics55-Inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV (2017 Model).
Holiday Fun Facts
Amazoncustomers purchased enough WowWee Fingerlings Interactive Baby Monkey toys on Amazon.comto hang end-to-end down the Empire State Buildingmore than 100 times.
Amazon.comcustomers purchased enough TVs to create nearly 2,500 towers the size of the Space Needle.
Amazoncustomers purchased enough littlebits Star Wars Droid Inventor Kits on Amazon.comto man an Imperial-II class Star Destroyer.
Amazoncustomers purchased enough Calvin Kleinproducts on Amazon.comduring the holiday to give five items to every attendee at Coachella2017.
Amazoncustomers purchased enough shoes on Amazon.comduring the holiday season were lined up end-to-end, they would stretch from Alaskato Miami.
This holiday season,
Amazon.comcustomers purchased enough Wickedly Prime Truffle Spreads to make over half a million dipped strawberries.
Treasure Truck customers purchased enough holiday wreaths that when
stacked, one on top of the other, would reach the top of the
Empire State Buildingnearly five and a half times.
Amazon.comcustomers purchased enough Instant Pot pressure cookers this holiday to make more than nine million bowls of chili at once.
Amazon.comcustomers purchased enough AmazonBasics hangers to hold an outfit for each person in the city of Houston, TX– the fourth most populated city in the U.S.
If you lined up all the copies of Jeff Kinney’s, The Getaway that
Amazonsold during the holiday season, you would reach the height of 444 Saturn V rockets.
If you collected all of the copies of Walter Isaacson’s,
Leonardo Da Vincithat Amazonsold over the holidays, they would weigh the equivalent of 25,417 gallons of paint – enough paint to cover over Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel ceiling 1,592 and a half times.