Amazon Prime Day 2020 Marked the Two Biggest Days Ever for Small & Medium Businesses in Amazon’s Stores Worldwide
Third-party sellers—most of which are small and medium-sized businesses—surpassed $3.5 billion in sales on Prime Day—a nearly 60% year-over-year increase, growing even more than Amazon’s retail business
Prime members saved more than $1.4 billion during Prime Day, taking advantage of deep discounts and incredible deals over the two-day event—some of the top categories members shopped and saved globally included Home, Electronics and Nutrition & Wellness, with best-selling products around the world including the Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote, iRobot Roomba Robot Vacuum, LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, and Lego Star Wars Stormtrooper Helmet, among others
SEATTLE – October 15, 2020 – (NASDAQ:AMZN) – After holding Prime Day in India in August, Amazon just wrapped the two-day event across 19 additional countries, delivering big sales for small businesses and big savings for Prime members in Canada, the U.S., U.K., U.A.E., Turkey, Spain, Singapore, Netherlands, Mexico, Luxembourg, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Brazil, Belgium, Austria, and Australia. Amazon is on track to invest $18 billion this year to help small and medium-sized businesses succeed in its store, and designed this Prime Day to support small businesses even more. This Prime Day delivered the two biggest days ever for third-party sellers, nearly all of which are small and medium-sized businesses. Sellers saw record-breaking sales, surpassing $3.5 billion in total across 19 countries. In addition, Prime members around the world saved over $1.4 billion during the epic deals event, securing deep discounts and getting a jump start on their holiday shopping.
“We are thrilled that Prime Day was a record-breaking event for small and medium businesses worldwide, with sales surpassing $3.5 billion—an increase of nearly 60% from last year,” said Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer. “We’re also proud that Prime members saved more than $1.4 billion, and we look forward to providing more opportunities for our selling partners to grow and customers to save throughout the holiday season. I’m incredibly thankful to our employees and partners around the world who helped make Prime Day possible, especially the dedicated front-line teams in our fulfillment centers and delivery operations.”
Members shopped and found great deals across a variety of categories from small businesses to top brands, with Home, Electronics, Nutrition & Wellness, and Arts, Crafts & Sewing as some of the best-selling categories. In addition, Prime members enjoyed deep discounts, snatching-up incredible deals with best-selling products globally including, Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote, iRobot Roomba Robot Vacuum, LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, and Lego Star Wars Stormtrooper Helmet, among others.
Here are some additional highlights from Prime Day 2020.
Global Highlights from Prime Day 2020
Supporting Small Businesses
- Independent third-party sellers—most of which are small and medium-sized businesses—surpassed $3.5 billion in sales on Prime Day—a nearly 60% increase over Prime Day 2019, growing even more than Amazon’s retail business.
- Top-selling categories for third-party sellers include Bedding, Wireless Accessories, Nutrition & Wellness, Arts, Crafts & Sewing, and Health Care.
Prime Member Savings
With early promotions and more than one million deals globally, members had an opportunity to save big this Prime Day.
- Prime members saved more than $1.4 billion on Prime Day 2020.
Members took advantage of incredible savings on Amazon Devices throughout Prime Day.
- Echo Dot was the most popular item purchased on Prime Day globally.
- Companies building devices with Alexa built-in had a record Prime Day with Bose QuietComfort 35 (Series II) Wireless Headphones and Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch being some of the most popular items during the Prime Day event.
- Customers purchased millions of Alexa compatible devices during the Prime Day event.
- Customers purchased even more Fire TV Edition Smart TVs than during previous Prime Day events, buying a record-setting number of FTVE TVs from brands including Toshiba and Insignia.
Prime Day Best Sellers by Country
Members shopped across a wide selection of products in a variety of categories including electronics, beauty, fashion, grocery, toys, furniture, everyday essentials, school supplies, and more.
- Some of the top categories that members shopped and saved globally included Home, Electronics, Nutrition & Wellness, among others.
- Prime members enjoyed deep discounts as they snatched-up incredible deals with best-selling products globally, including Echo Dot, Fire TV Stick 4K with Alexa Voice Remote, iRobot Roomba Robot Vacuum, LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, and Lego Star Wars Stormtrooper Helmet, among others.
Some of the top-selling deals from around the world, excluding Amazon Devices, included:
- Canada: LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, Govee LED Light Strip compatible with Alexa, All Natural Advice Anti-Aging Vitamin C Serum, Instant Pot Duo Nova, and Donut Shop Variety Box Keurig K-Cup Pods.
· United States: iRobot Roomba Robot Vacuum, MyQ Wireless & WiFi Enabled Smart Garage Door Opener, LifeStraw Personal Water Filter, Goli Apple Cider Vinegar Vitamins, and Kids Against Maturity: Card Game for Kids and Families.
- United Kingdom: Shark Upright Vacuum Cleaner, Celebrations Chocolate Bulk Box, Halloween Party Bag Fillers, Oral-B Smart 6 6000N CrossAction Electric Toothbrush.
- United Arab Emirates: Listerine Cool Mint Mouthwash, Sony Extra Bass Smartphone Headset with Mic Headphone, and Nescafe Dolce Mini Me Coffee Machine.
- Turkey: HP Laptop, Baby Turco Islak Havlu Mendil, and Familia Plus Paper Towels.
- Spain: Finish Powerball All in 1 Max Detergent, L'Oréal Paris Men Expert - 24H Hydra Energetic Daily Moisturizer, BRITA MAXTRA universal cartridge, and Oral B CrossAction Electric Toothbrush.
- Singapore: Cocolife Coconut Water, Learning Resources Sight Word Auditory Learning Game, Wolf Blass Red Label, Australia Cabernet Merlot, LEGO Classic 10698 Large Creative Brick Box.
- Netherlands: Lego Star Wars Stormtrooper Helmet, Dettol Cleaning Wipes Power & Fresh, Oral-B Pro CrossAction Electric Toothbrush.
- Mexico: Lloyd’s WiFi Smart Bulb Compatible with Alexa, iOS, Android and Google Assistant, Lysol Multipurpose Disinfectant, and TECHVIDA Automatic Water Dispenser.
- Luxembourg: Christmas Magic Yankee Candle, SanDisk Extreme microSDXC Memory Card, and Sagrotan Hand Disinfectant Gel with Aloe Vera.
- Japan: SwitchBot, Detergent Wide Hiter, and Water Bottles I Ro Ha Su.
- Italy: FIFA 21 PlayStation 4, includes PS5 upgrade, Borbone Respresso Coffee Capsules, and Protective Face Mask FFP2 by Jiandi.
- Germany and Austria: SanDisk Extreme microSDXC Memory Card (128 GB), Lavazza Coffee Beans - Caffè Crema Classico, and Tefal Jamie Oliver Pan.
- China: L'Oreal Paris Golden Age Repair Cream, Dove Creme Body Scrub, Western Digital Desktop External Hard Drive, Philips Sonicare Genuine Replacement Brush Head.
- Brazil: Positivo Wi-Fi Smart LED Light Bulb Compatible with Alexa, Faber-Castell Highlighter Pen, 6 Pastel Colors, and Lysoform Disinfectant.
- Belgium: SanDisk Extreme microSDXC UHS-I Memory card 128 GB, Sagrotan Hand Disinfectant Gel with Aloe Vera, and Samsung Internal SSD.
- Australia: Philips Hue Smart Lighting, Skin Care from WELEDA, and Palmolive.
Operations and Delivery
Every day at Amazon, incredible employees come together to deliver magical experiences for customers. Amazon announced just last month that it is creating an additional 100,000 regular full-time and part-time jobs in its fulfillment and logistics network throughout the U.S. and Canada. With more than 150 new process improvements and safety measures implemented by Amazon over the last several months, hundreds of thousands of employees across Amazon’s network are working to ensure fast and efficient delivery for customers throughout Prime Day, the rest of the year, and beyond.
Every Day Made Better with Prime
Prime was designed to make your life better every single day. Over 150 million paid members around the world enjoy the many benefits of Prime, including shopping and entertainment. In Canada, that includes unlimited access to award-winning movies and TV episodes with Prime Video, ad-free listening of over two million songs on Amazon Music, unlimited access to hundreds of books with Prime Reading, free in-game content and games with Prime Gaming, free unlimited photo storage with Amazon Photos, early access to select Lightning Deals, Prime Day, and more. Prime was built on the foundation of unlimited fast, free shipping and members have access to Prime FREE Same-Day Delivery when shipping to Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary, Prime FREE One-Day Delivery in 34 cities and towns, and unlimited FREE Two-Day Shipping on millions of items. Prime is CDN $79 per year or CDN $7.99 a month and eligible customers can start a free trial of Amazon Prime at amazon.ca/prime. University and College students can join Prime Student for 50% off and enjoy the benefits of Prime with a six-month free trial at amazon.ca/primestudent. Amazon Business customers—from small businesses to large enterprises, as well as education, government and non-profit organizations—can also take advantage of Prime’s fast, free shipping and exclusive business-relevant benefits with Business Prime, which starts at CDN $109 per year for up to three users at amazon.ca/businessprime.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.